Ramblings, citations and "brainwaves" of a college librarian in Toronto. 475 square feet refers to the size of my home, not the size of my office or library.



Shoplifting Via Cameras


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Camera phones in bookstores. Yesterday, at an Indigo bookstore in downtown Toronto, I saw security eject someone for snapping a few low res images of pages of a magazine. This is not the first time I've seen people discretely imaging pages in a bookstore. Given the cramped conditions of most bookstores, overtaxed staff, policing this "revenue flu" is problematic. As the technology disseminates, the problem will grow. Why buy a whole interior design book, when you can snap a few shots of the pages you are using for inspiration? Legal, no! But from what perspective? Copyright? Retail theft? Both?


Previous posts

Archives



What do I do with ATOM?