Ramblings, citations and "brainwaves" of a college librarian in Toronto. 475 square feet refers to the size of my home, not the size of my office or library.



Deep Linking, Permitted Uses, and Captain Copyright


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



A way back, Michael Geist, commented on whether copyright owners could control access to freely available online content. AccessCopyright, seeks to limit deep linking to its Captain Copyright marketing, to sites that are supportive of its mission, henceforth silencing critical commentary.

Michael commented that courts in Canada and the United States have concluded that links do not raise copyright concerns. I'm guessing this "oversight" will be addressed in the next revision of the Copyright Act.

Why do I care? Scholars need deep linking to cite works they are using or addressing, if we can't deep link, we can't build on what exists.


Previous posts

Archives



What do I do with ATOM?